View Single Post
Old 08-10-2008, 07:53 PM
New Player

Default Complete solution of how I got Thief Gold to run on Vista Ultimate x64 (64-bit)

If you're struggling with getting Thief Gold to run on your machine that has Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (64-bit OS), than this post is for you. This would probably be fine for other versions of Vista as well. Here are my PC specs:

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ (2.91 GHz)
GeForce 8800 GTS SSC edition video card
800W (850max) KINGWIN power supply
6GB Corsair DDR2 800 RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (with SP1)

First things first, make sure you have the latest drivers for your motherboard and video card installed. Most likely nvidia.com or ati.com. That way, you can rule out the possibility of faulty drivers screwing things up.

1. Install the game. If you are unable to install due to an error about DirectX, simply go to Start, then Run, then type d:\setup.exe -lgntforce (where d:\ is your CDrom/DVDrom drive.) Note: that's -lgntforce, lowercase "L". If you're unsure, copy and paste it from here. Hit enter. Thief Gold should now begin to install.
Here's the technical explanation of the cause of the error:
"This problem arises because Win2K, WinXP, and Vista are based on the NT kernel, which had DirectX support which was flaky at best. Thief needs DirectX to run, so, when the installer sees the NT kernel, it assumes that the game isn't going to be able to run and quits the installation. The -lgntforce switch tells the installer to ignore the NT kernel and install anyway."

2. Fix the error in which the game will only show a black screen (you may get an error in which it says that the Direct 3D Device does not accurately report texture memory usage). Simply go to the following link, download the file, extract it, and put it in your main ThiefG folder.
http://www.thief-thecircle.com/download.asp?fid=727

Should be something like C:\Program Files (x86)\ThiefG\. If you have the 32-bit Vista OS, it should look like this: C:\Program Files\ThiefG\. This file is going to replace your Thief executable. Use this new file to start the game. It's a good idea to create a shortcut on your desktop to this.
Error in which you only get a black screen or Direct 3D Device does not accurately report texture memory usage. Please Note: If you are using an nVidia card with drivers in the 9x.xx range then this fix will not work. At present the only solution is to downgrade your drivers to versions in the 8x.xx range or below. An error message that pops up when starting a level in Thief and Thief 2. You may not get an error message, you may see only a black screen. It primarily occurs on Nvidia Graphics cards running driver versions 5x.xx and above although there are several reports of it occuring on ATI 9xxx cards using new drivers.

3. Fix the issue that Thief Gold has when trying to run on multiple processors (make sure you do this step AFTER step 2). If you have a dual-core, tripple-core, quad-core, or any type of multi-core processor, you must first download the following zip file:
http://www.thief-thecircle.com/guide...g/imagecfg.zip
Unzip it and put the IMAGECFG file in your C:\WINDOWS\System32\ folder.
Copy the following three lines of text:

imagecfg -u thieffixedg.exe
imagecfg -a 0x1 thieffixedg.exe
pause

Open up Notepad and paste these three lines of text into it. Save the file as "processor.bat" (with quotes) in your main ThiefG folder (this is the same folder that you put the thieffixedg.exe file into). Once saved, go to it and double click on it.
That's all there is to it.
Game freezes within a minute / Running Thief on a Dual-Processor/Dual Core System or Got a Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading? When activated, Intel's Hyperthreading makes it appear that you have two CPUs. Pentium 4 D and Athlon 64 X2 processors have 2 cores on one chip - they are dual processors. Make sure that Thief is set to only use 1 processor with High, or Realtime priority. Dark Engine games don't like dual processor systems unless they are configured in this way.

4. One more issue remains. The videos won't play. I went to Start, Run, and copy-and-pasted the following into there and hit enter:
Type regsvr32 "c:\your\path\to\thief\LGVID.AX"
(where c:\your\path\to\thief\ matches your own path)
Before doing that, the game would run, but it would simply skip the movies! We can't have that, now can we? So AFTER registering that .ax file as indicated above, I tried to start the first level and the game crashed. I then discovered that I need certain Indeo video codecs installed. So.. go to the following link:
http://www.thief-thecircle.com/download.asp?fid=876
Download and run the "iv5setup" setup application. Select custom and DESELECT the web browser plugin at the very bottom.
This will eliminate the problem that arises when the setup tries to search for Netscape.. and we all know that Netscape is inferior to Internet Explorer and Firefox so we don't care about it. If you do not follow this step, the setup will freeze while trying to search for netscape. So after deselecting that last option for the plugin, continue the installation and it should install within a second or two.

Now you're all done and Thief Gold should run correctly on your beefy Vista x64 machine. If for some reason you finish a mission and the video for the next mission doesn't play, just go to the movies folder within your main ThiefG folder and watch it from there. I've noticed that most of the time the in-game movie will play, but sometimes it won't. Hope this has been helpful. I did all 4 steps and it worked great for me. Here are some links I found that helped me figure this all out:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...threadid=75031
http://www.thief-thecircle.com/guides/hyperthreading/
http://www.thief-thecircle.com/download.asp?fid=876

Last edited by SDFprowler; 08-10-2008 at 08:05 PM.