View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 06:59 AM
formally known as Corlagon

Default New Nosgoth Game in Development: Confirmed

Edit 3:

Quote:
Square-Enix has confirmed to VG247 that Crystal Dynamics is not developing ‘Nosgoth’, but that the new project that is linked to the Legacy of Kain franchise.

In a statement sent to VG247 this morning, a Square source confirmed that a studio is actively developing the title. The source told us, “Nosgoth exists and is in active development, but is not a traditional Legacy of Kain action-adventure game”, and added, “Nosgoth is set in the same universe as previous LoK games, but on a different branch to the Blood Omen and Soul Reaver series.”

Our source explained that the reason for talking to us about the project was to clear the air following Nosgoth leaks that came from AMD and Steam. The game will not be announced at E3, but the source added that Square is very excited about the concept.

They added, “We don’t want people to get the wrong idea about Nosgoth following the AMD and Steam leaks ahead of its future official announcement. Nosgoth is not being developed by Crystal Dynamics,” and added, “Crystal Dynamics are not working on a Legacy of Kain game”.

In closing our source at the publisher said, “This isn’t something we’d normally do, but we wanted to just give folks a bit more context for the direction, rather than just batten down the hatches.”
http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/07/nosg...of-kain-title/ (posted by Shaikh)

EDIT: Hello internet!

---

Hi everyone,
I don't think anybody else has picked up on this until now, hope it is worth a thread.

So since the War for Nosgoth hints began, I have been keeping an eye on Twitter search to see if anybody happens to let something slip. Well look at the exchange I noticed from last week:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew D
New CAP is live - AMD Catalyst 13.5 CAP1
http://t.co/Rk9Wrdt7Yn
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Quinton
LOL this is a joke right? These games are OLD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn00tcn
cojg = released yesterday brand new, re6 = 2 months, coh2 = unreleased BETA, minimum = unreleased BETA, darksiders2 = 9 months
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn00tcn
additionally, i looked at the xml, takedown red sabre, war for nosgoth, remember me (unreleased & not mentioned in the CAP notes)
To explain the significance of that, "Andrew D" is an employee of AMD. In this context, AMD is effectively a technology company responsible for helping developers to optimise their games for different platforms, with new drivers, patches and fixes (the Catalyst project).

A guy whines at Andrew that the new fixes only concern old games, then the user named "kn00tcn" installs the patch in the link, looks through some of the associated files, and proves him wrong by pointing out that there are some very recent games being supported here - some so recent they aren't even out yet. One of them is War for Nosgoth.

Just to confirm that this wasn't a bunch of baloney, I installed the patch myself and looked through the notes (you can too!). It appeared in the folder C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies. There are two patch logs, atiapf55.log and atiapfxx.log. Either will do. Open these in Notepad or any other text editor, and here are some excerpts of what you'll find:

"Nosgoth" and "War for Nosgoth" are in there multiple times, nestled comfortably enough in at the end of a list of games from this generation (closest to Takedown: Red Sabre and Remember Me, as mentioned). I haven't investigated thoroughly, but I don't think many, if any, of the titles in there are known to be cancelled projects. They all seem to be either released or upcoming games. DmC, Resident Evil 6, the new Call of Juarez, the next Splinter Cell, etc etc etc.

I'm afraid there aren't any actual details about this game(?) beyond its name, and the program associated with it - which is titled "BCMPGame.exe". Perhaps interestingly, there is absolutely no mention of the words "Legacy of Kain".

---

My personal conclusion: all this would suggest that War for Nosgoth is (or was) indeed a game, and one far enough into development to possess an .exe file which warrants external optimisation and custom driver profiles from AMD. Now I don't think I noticed any next-gen (PS4/Xbone) games in these lists, which could insinuate some possibilities:

1) though hopefully not the case, perhaps WfN is an unannounced PS3/360 game which will soon be released to die at the end of this gen;
2) perhaps WfN always was, or has become, a launch title for next gen as was rumoured, and it might soon be announced;
3) perhaps WfN was well into development but was recently cancelled thanks to Square Enix's financial struggles, and that's why we still haven't heard an announcement.

...and other permutations of the above, but unless I've missed something, I think this finding alleviates any doubt that this has been a real game in development for consoles and could be on its way soon.

Thanks to "kn00tcn". Please feel free to look into this further if you like, as I haven't accounted for everything in that file and there might be more to scrutinise.

---

EDIT: As an aside, it's rather nice to see a bunch of gaming websites posting links to this thread (though I'm not sure when I changed my name to "Eidos Forums poster" or "Eidos Games' community")!

(EDIT 2: Thanks to GameSpot, Joystiq and those others who did include a named credit )

Last edited by The Hylden; 06-07-2013 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Updated OP