View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 03:12 AM
Tycho Tycho is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 123

here is what you have to do, if you live in the EU:
1. What can I do if I suspect that a business practice restricts competition?

In your daily life, you may come across situations in which there are signs of business practices which may restrict competition, such as those described in this site. For instance, companies have sometimes refused to accept orders from consumers from other Member States. Such a refusal may be a sign of illegal, restrictive practices and you may want to inform a competition authority about them.

Step 1: Decide which competition authority to inform

If the situation you have encountered is specific and limited to the country or the area in which you live, or involves no more than three Member States you may in the first place want to contact a national competition authority. The competition authorities of all EU Member States now apply the same competition rules as the European Commission and very often they are well placed to deal with your problem. If you think that a larger number of Member States are concerned, you may primarily choose to contact the European Commission.

Even if you are unsure about the scope of the problem, do not hesitate to contact either the European Commission or a national competition authority. The authorities cooperate and may allocate a case that could arise from your report between them as appropriate.

Step 2A: if you wish to inform the European Commission
Reporting your concerns to the European Commission

You can report your concerns to the European Commission by e-mail to Alternatively, you can write a letter to:

European Commission
Directorate-General for Competition
Antitrust Registry
B-1049 Brussels

Please indicate your name and address, identify the firms and products concerned and describe clearly the practice you have observed. This will help the European Commission to detect problems in the market and can be the starting point for an investigation.
Making a formal complaint with the European Commission

If you are directly affected by the practice which you suspect restricts competition and able to provide the European Commission with specific information, you may want to lodge a formal complaint instead. In this case, you would need to fulfil certain legal requirements which are explained in detail in the Commission Notice on the handling of complaints (for further information see

You can also send an e-mail to to ask for further information on the lodging of a formal complaint.
Informing a consumer association

As an individual consumer, you may also inform a consumer association of your observations. The consumer association can then decide to pool information received from different consumers and make a formal complaint to the European Commission.

Contact a consumer organization in your country

Step 2B: inform a national competition authority

National competition authorities in the EU Member States can gather information from the companies concerned and take action to remedy the problem if they find that EU competition law has been broken.

Please note that the procedures followed by the national authorities depend on their national laws and may differ from one EU Member State to another. So, before contacting a national competition authority, you may want to check its website or seek guidance from the authority on how best to report your concerns.

Region Blocking in the EU is just that: "a business practice restricts competition"

so just write a email, copy&paste to the European Commission, your national competition authority, your national consumer protection authorities.

I am no lawyer but it seems to me that this whole thing is borderline illegal and with enough pressure from consumer protection and competition authorities we might get that dropped. Free Trade is one of the foundations of the EU and we just cannot get them get away with this bull, because everybody will jump on this train.
signature image